Save on Your Utility Bills this WinterNovember 5, 2018
To quote Game of Thrones, “Winter is Coming!” While it may not have the dire meaning as it does in that television series, it is something that New Englanders need to prepare for. Readying the snowblower, getting the bags of ice melt, and battening down the hatches are a good way to begin. Once homeowners are prepped for the long, harsh winter that Mother Nature is sure to make us endure, it may be a good idea to plan for ways that can save you money on your utility bills. Here are a few suggestions that may help.
- Make a Change – Is your home heated by gas or electricity? How much is this costing you annually? If you are shocked at your monthly bills to keep your home lit and warm, then you may want to gather information about going solar. Start your search at a locally owned, but nationally recognized company like SunPower by BlueSel. For more information about what it would take for your home to install solar energy panels, call us at 781-281-8130 or visit our website today.
- Insulate – Since heat naturally rises, it makes sense to insulate your home’s attic. Hire a professional company to inspect and install insulation that can save you lots on your utility bills.
- Use the Sun – As a solar company, we know the power of the sun. Keep the shades up in rooms that get direct sunlight to allow the natural heating of the day to help cut back on your heating bill.
- Use Timers – Rather than keep a light on all day to greet you when you get home every evening (in the dark of winter) set up timers that can go on and off at the specified time.
- Change the Filters – If your furnace uses filters, have them cleaned or replaced at regular intervals so your heating system will work at an optimal level.
- Change Out Your Old Thermostat – Many homeowners use older thermostats that require being adjusted manually. Newer programmable thermostats allow for remote access and a timer that can conveniently heat your home just prior to your arrival and lower the temp after you have left every morning.
- Switch Out Light Bulbs – Newer LED lights can save you a bit each month, especially during the winter months as we tend to use indoor lighting at a higher frequency during the dark winter months.
- Seal it Up – Cover drafty windows, use insulated curtains, and seal up drafts under doors. You may even want to check utility vents such as the electric and dryer vents to be sure they are not letting in more cold air than needed.
Winter can be tough around these parts, so take small steps to cut back on your energy bills. If you would like more information on going solar as one of these methods, call SunPower by BlueSel at 781-281-8130 or visit our website today.