Solar Energy All Around UsJuly 23, 2018
Remember the days when your mom used to dry the family’s clothes out on the clothesline in the backyard? The sheets would blow in the breeze and shirts would smell like summer after a day of drying outdoors. For decades we have been harnessing the power of the sun to dry clothes and even crops, but now that technology has advanced, it seems as though the power of the sun is there for the taking in so many different ways. With each passing year, Americans are incorporating solar energy into their daily lives with many positive benefits. Let’s take a look at 10 of the places you can find solar energy hard at work.
- Commercial Power Generation – Have you ever heard about the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System? This solar thermal plant, located in the Mojave Desert, consists of three solar thermal power plants on 4,000 acres of public land near the California–Nevada border. The project is currently the largest solar thermal power plant in the world. Not only does Ivanpah generate enough electricity to serve more than 140,000 homes in California during the peak hours of the day, but it also reduces carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by more than 400,000 tons per year.
- Road Signs – Chances are that you have driven by a sign, speed limit radar, construction alert sign, or highway lighting that is powered by solar energy. Just look for the panels that may be hidden by the side of the road and you know that these electrically operating signs are using the power of the sun.
- Calculators – For years, pocket calculators have used the power of the sun to operate elementary functions. The mini solar panels are built right in!
- Satellites in Orbit – NASA, GPS signals, and high tech companies have benefited from the solar cells on satellites. These cells convert sunlight into electricity to power onboard computers.
- Home Security and Lighting – Many homeowners use self-contained solar units to operate flood lights, walkway lights, and security lighting around their homes. These easy-to-install units make lighting and security easy.
- Solar Ovens – Making their mark in the kitchen are solar ovens, which are increasing in popularity as a home appliance. Essentially these devices are slow cookers and are just one more way that solar energy is being put to good use.
- Phone/Tablet Chargers – Solar chargers for phones and tablets are also gaining traction as more and more business people rely on their devices to conduct business remotely.
- Solar Cars – There are already automobiles on the roads currently using solar energy or using a hybrid combination. These vehicles are a great way to reduce your personal carbon footprint.
- Water Heaters – Homeowners are slashing their energy consumption by heating their hot water via solar energy.
- Solar Energy Systems – Residential systems are taking on the solar industry by storm. More and more homeowners are realizing the economic and environmental benefits of installing solar panels on the roof of their home.
Do you want to start using solar in big and small ways? Contact your local SunPower by BlueSel dealer for more information. Call us at 781-281-8130 or visit our website.